Avantor Flowmor™ Packaging System improves free-flowability of hygroscopic salts
What are hygroscopic materials? Examples are calcium chloride, sodium chloride, potassium phosphate, and variety of buffer salts. Flowmor is a unique packaging system which helps maintain free-flowing, hygroscopic salts. Hygroscopic salts are the materials that absorb moisture from air and can cake to form a rock-hard product. The moisture contained within the salt or present in the air, absorbs and binds the salt crystals together. The way how to handle hygroscopic materials is not well understood, but in many cases, personnel need to break up the caked material prior to use.
The Flowmor package mitigates caking by keeping outside moisture from entering the container while absorbing the moisture surrounding the salt. This packaging system consists of 4 parts - an external barrier, an exterior liner, desiccant bags, and an interior liner.
- The external barrier is a high-density polyethylene (HDPE) drum. The drum provides a barrier to block moisture outside the container from reaching and interacting with the salt.
- The interior liner is a permeable bag which allows the salt to breathe. Moisture surrounding the salt can flow through the bag and away from the salt.
- The exterior liner provides additional barrier from external environment to minimize clumping.
- Desiccant bags are placed between the exterior liner and interior liner. These bags absorb any moisture within the container and prevent the salt from caking.
- Combining these 4 components results in an easy to handle, free-flowing hygroscopic salt.
For more information contact your VWR, part of Avantor Sales Rep today.